Tuesday 16 October 2012

Thinking Bigger

In my previous post regarding the spaceship concept, I commented on how I was interested by the idea of morphing using living organic subject matter in order to create interesting mechanical structures. I went with the wasp design inspired by my silhouette work, but found it to be too agile-looking. Reflecting on which possible living creature could best resemble a large space vessel, I decided to collect some Whale images and created a separate moodboard:


I found that I was drawn to the torpedo-like anatomy of the baleen or 'great whale' anatomy. A member of this family can be seen in the top right image of the moodboard to give an example. I took this idea and tried to incorporate it into a ship design:



I am also beginning to consider possible colour combinations for the vessel. I tried a complimentary orange and blue with the top left design. Although these two colours do work well together, they do not really fit with the context of the design. The ship is supposed to be perilous and occupied by a sinister security guard. This scheme is too vibrant warm and inviting. The obvious blue design to the right is too soft and delicate on the eyes, not really collaborating well with the dwarfing ship it is occupying. I also tried a green and purple scheme, inspired by my early crash sight concept painting. This design feels closer, as the colours aren't quite complimentary, creating an uncomfortable jarring effect. This is better fitting with the abrupt nature of the vessel. The final scheme, is the one I am perhaps the most happy with. As I had based the Guard character in my storyboard with the 'Splinter Cell' source images on my moodboard, I opted for a black and grey colour scheme with subtle dashes of bright green. This creates a generally darker mood, fitting with the villainous ship.

I believe this is a step in the right direction. This particular design certainly looks more substation as appose to the flimsy wasp concept. Still, I need to try and gradually work away from the very literal organic shape, and achieve something that looks less like the marine mammal it was inspired by. Perhaps the curvature of the design is too exagerated. A flying vessel would arguable be more streamline, although, as the vessel will be working in low gravity, perhaps it could propel itself in a similar way to a sea dwelling creature, moving it's limbs in a smooth serpent-like motion. Perhaps considering the purpose of the vessel will help better inform my design. If the ship is required to enter planetary orbits, it would need a more versatile design, likely including some form of propulsion engine. Alternatively, I could continue my experimentation until I find a design that looks aesthetically pleasing, and then decide on a purpose that fits the nature of the vessel, allowing me to further refine my design ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment