Monday 24 March 2014

Bridges and Booze Bombs

We have recently began working on initial designs for game assets. My first task was to produce bridge designs for the canal area. I worked from reference photos taken by Tim:




My concepts:


I actually colour picked from the source photos, and got the really nice pinkish reds, combined with earthy browns and greens to create a vibrant yet slightly grim and war torn feel. I like the first bridge on the left, although if the design were taken further the scale would have to be amended, as judging by the size of the steps, it would too small and narrow for a large Mech to cross. Although, it could simply be a background piece which the player doesn't interact with. The centre piece is perhaps the most practical, as there are no steps which would perhaps look more convincing as the player crosses. I also like the soldier statue, calling back to this notion of the glorification of war.  The final wrecked bridge is also interesting, although I'm quite sure on the scale of the footpath passing beneath. it looks rather narrow, unless again this is merely a scenery asset, and the player passes on the higher road, level with the bridge. At this stage concepts are becoming more technical, and we need to start thinking about their scale in the game engine.

I also produced some early Booze Bomb sketches. These are small kamikaze weapons that charge in first toward to player and detonate on impact. I went for a comical approach, incorporating found scrap like a young girls bicycle and a discarded shopping trolley:


I actually prefer the second and last one across from the left. Instead of being single discarded items of scrap, they are essentially balls of garbage jammed together on flimsy wheels. I particularly like the cartoony top heavy proportions of the last design. I am still liking the comic book outlined style, particularly when it comes to small assets like these. I will definitely be posting a UV texture which incorporates a "Backwater Gospel' approach for the purpose of experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment