Sunday 18 May 2014

Brushing up on Colour Theory

A friend linked me to this helpful video:



Firstly, there are obviously these helpful colour bridges etc. but a key thing the video got me thinking about which is somehow overlooked in my work is controlling the saturation to manipulate the eyes:


This piece from my extended practice module is somewhat unsuccessful, as the colours are all bright and blown out, compromising depth. The bright cartoony colours are intentional, but it's hard to distinguish the figure in the bottom right corner from the cityscape.


This persona piece I feel is successful as generally cool low saturated colours are used, but in areas of importance like the explorer figures and the wrecked ship there are warm saturated reds and oranges. The saturated characters guide the eyes towards the red ship.

It is important to understand the importance of colour. I have become quite aware of the importance of value control, but colour theory has often been overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment